Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My People, My People!

In April, my friend Katrina invited me to be apart of a group she started to teach her friends about building wealth and developing financial intelligence. We've had several meetings regarding our credit score, estate planning, and real estate. One of the first lessons I learned is that an easy way to transform your financial portfolio from cash rich/assest poor is to buy a home (yes, there are some of us who don't know that). Being the Libra that I am, I always try to weigh all my options before I make major life altering decisions. Before I moved in my apartment, I took a year to research the neighborhood, evaluate rental rates, investigating floor plans, etc... Finally, I picked a place and moved. I've been in the same place now for six years. So, when we learned in our Ladies Wealth Intelligence group that it was financially savvy to purchase a home instead of renting, I listened but I took my time to research before I made such a huge leap in monthly bills. I've always wanted to move back to my old neighborhood to help rebuild the area, be a role model, and so forth. Most times as we become professionals we forget about the peeps in the 'hood; thus, removing any examples of what success looks like and our neighborhoods continue to flounder. This was my objective when I started the seach for a home. To go home, and give back.


You know what? I don't know if I can do it. I know I am probably handing over my ghetto pass when I say this but why do Black folks tear up a neighborhood? Not just Black people but poor minorities (and I'm sure there are plenty of White people that can be accused of the same things; but frankly, I don't know a lot of White people). I just got some new neighbors. One below and one across. One Black, one not. But both minorities. In the six months they've been here, they keep up a bunch of noise, I have to look at someone everyday standing outside talking on a cordless phone, I'm constantly looking at cigarettes butts and beer cans on the ground, the kids run up and down the steps, the girl below has about six people living in a one bedroom, the husband sits outside blocking the stairway as he eats cereal or hamburgers on a regular basis, and as I walk up the stairs the smell of weed wafting from the apartment across from me gives me an instant contact! One night, the husband even knocked on my door at 10:30 pm and asked if he could borrow $3!!! And they hadn't even been here for a month.

I know, I know. You think I'm being stereotypical. I'm starting to sound like Bill Cosby. First, let me say that this really saddens me that I feel this way. I'm actually ashamed, but I have had plenty of neighbors in my six years in my apartment and there has never been this much activity. Truthfully, I wasn't raised in the suburbs. This is an innercity kid talking. Furthermore, I was a parole officer for two years and I would spend all day driving in neighborhoods were we (my people) lived. I have been teaching in a high school were the population is half African-American/ half Hispanic for seven years. And I'm not one of those teachers that drives to school and then drives home. I go to the grocery store, Walmart, visit my friends, so I get a pretty good indication of the neighborhood. And everyday I want to give a speech...it would go somethinglike this:

Black and Brown People,
Just because we're poor doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of the things we have. Care adds value; so please, respect your property. Take care of it. Stop parking your cars on your lawn. Every now and then water the yard and cut the grass. If you can't afford it call your city Parks and Recreation Department; they offer a lot of services for free. You pay taxes and they know a beautiful city is attractive to potential businesses. That's free PR. Don't let your kids run up and down the street all hours of the night, hang around blocking traffic, and then cry on tv when they're in an accident. Paint the outside of your home. Please respect other people's right to sleep and keep the noise level down. I'm not talking about the occassional party or get together; but do you have to be loud every night? And, basketball and football are wonderful sports. I love them. I watch them all the time but do I have to watch you play it in the street...everyday! Go to the park sometimes. Remember times are different now. We live in a world of sex offenders, rapists, and serial killers so be careful when you are talking to people you just met. Get a leash for your Pittbull or Rottweiler. If the dog is so vicious that you need a six inch chain when you walk him down the street, he probably needs to be in the pound. And don't take it personally if people are a little wary to talk to you. Sometimes it's not about skin color. Sometimes it's about being safe, especially when you're asking me for $3 in the middle of the night. When you get a new store and you know your friend is planning on robbing it, tell them no. It's ridiculous to have to drive 30 minutes across town to find a decent grocery store! And last but not least, call the cops on those crack heads down the street. They mean us no good; and frankly, they're part of the reason we can't get Domino's to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment