Sunday, June 16, 2013

Competition: The enemy of success

I have a problem with competition. I hate it. I was never a competitor. At least not with other people. My biggest opponent is myself. I am constantly challenging myself to do better and to BE better. To try new things. To learn new or more information. I have an internal scoreboard that I can never beat! I guess that is why I hate competition so much because in my mind I am always losing against myself.

This love/hate relationship that I have with competition is very frustrating especially as an adult woman. Women are fierce competitors with each other. I don't know why. It's an art form with us. Healthy competition can motivate people to accomplish great things but competition that is driven by jealousy or envy is one of our worst enemies. Yet, it's not like we can rid ourselves of this adversary. So how do we navigate life in a world that pits us against each other?

I wish I had the perfect solution. All I can offer you is a strategy. There are two things that you can do. First, ask yourself, what do I love to do? What are my gifts and strengths? Once you figure out the answer to those questions work every day to use those gifts. Second and finally, live your life and do everything to the glory of God. When you follow God's will for your life it doesn't matter who is competing with you, even if it is yourself, you can't lose! He will never give you an assignment in which He wants you to fail. It may be challenging but if He gave it to you, He will equip you for the task.

As I grow older and, hopefully, wiser, I find that it is not worth my time to worry about people, women, who consider themselves my rivals, whether consciously or unconsciously. And, you shouldn't either. My only requirement is that I LIVE the life God gave me! I used to take pride in this sport as I thought that somehow it was a form of imitation or flattery and somehow I inspired people. I can no longer take credit for that. If there is a light in me that someone wants to emulate, that light is God given and God inspired. So, it's not me you see but the Holy Spirit working through me! I am honored that He chooses me to do anything.

Life is too short to take on a goal that is not your own. So if you find yourself competing, whether the champion or the challenger, take your eyes off your opponent. Fix your eyes on Christ! Use whatever He gives you to glorify Him. With Him in your corner, you can never fail and you will NEVER have to compete!

1 comment: